Comments : Off
April may start of off with a day about fooling people, but it’s also a month with a focus on a serious matter: facial protection. Athletes and parents of athletes are at the highest risk of facial and dental injuries, so organization like the American Dental Association (ADA) are trying to raise awareness on how people can take steps to avoid the emergency room or dental chair because of a facial or dental injury.
Other sponsors for the month include the Academy for Sports Dentistry, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, and the American Association of Orthodontists, and their websites are full of valuable tips and statistics.
Speaking of statistics, here are some eye-opening facts from the ADA about National Facial Protection Month, mouthguards and sports:
• Athletes who don’t wear mouthguards are 60 times more likely to damage their teeth.
• 67 percent of parents admitted that their children do not wear a mouthguard during organized sports.
• About 84 percent of children do not wear mouthguards while playing organized sports because they are not required to wear them.
• More than half of the seven million sports- and recreation-related injuries that occur each year involve children as young as 5 years old.
• Mouthguards can be one of the least expensive pieces of protective equipment available.
When it comes to protecting your face during athletic activities, mouthguards are invaluable. Whether you’re playing football, baseball, hockey, basketball, biking, rollerblading, skateboarding , boxing or even running on rugged terrain, mouthguards can help protect your face and teeth during an accident.
While you can buy a simple mouthguard at the store, you’ll find the most customizable and protective mouthguards at the dental office. Dentists can create a durable, state-of-the-art mouthguard based on your unique teeth and the sports you play, ensuring you keep your beautiful smile.
Protecting your face is no joke. For more information on National Facial Protection Month and mouthguards, schedule a consultation with North Heacock Dental Group today.