Traditional dentures like grandma used to wear are a thing of the past. You can get non-removable dentures. No more awkward speech, uncomfortable bite, limited diet nor hiding your smile. Get a permanent set of teeth locked down with dental implants.
Implant-supported dentures use dental implants to support a special natural-looking set of teeth. Since implant-supported dentures don’t simply rest on your gums like traditional dentures, they have a variety of distinct advantages over them.
Advantages Over Traditional Dentures
Traditional dentures are a great solution for replacing missing teeth, but they don’t have as many benefits as implant-supported teeth. Here are the top three advantages implant-supported dentures have over conventional dentures:
- Bone preservation – Since implant-supported dentures include dental implants, they are able to replace some of your natural tooth roots, which stimulates and preserves your jawbone. Since traditional dentures don’t have any artificial roots, your bone deteriorates faster.
- Easier to speak and eat – It’s harder to speak or eat certain foods with traditional dentures, as they have a tendency to shift or fall out. Implant-supported teeth are securely attached, so they stay in place at all times.
- More comfortable and easy to maintain – People who wear conventional dentures usually experience sore spots, but implant-supported are stable and comfortable. They also more convenient when it comes to maintenance.
The Process for Implant-Supported Dentures
So what does the process for a set of replacement teeth look like? It depends on the condition of your mouth, most people can now be candidates even if they were not in the past. Here are the basic steps:
- Dental implants are placed into your jawbone and allowed to heal or anchor.
- If necessary, extensions will be attached to the implants to ensure there is a proper foundation for your dentures. Your gums may need to heal for a couple weeks.
- After they have been created, your dentures are attached to implants and adjusted (if necessary) to ensure a proper fit.
- You can begin smiling, eating and speaking with confidence!
If you’d like to know more, schedule a consultation with your North Heacock Dental Group today.