General Dentistry Defined
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), general dentistry is “defined as the evaluation, diagnosis, prevention and/or treatment (nonsurgical, surgical or related procedures) of diseases, disorders and/or conditions of the oral cavity, maxillofacial area and/or the adjacent and associated structures and their impact on the human body; provided by a dentist, within the scope of his/her education, training and experience, in accordance with the ethics of the profession and applicable law.”
There are two types of dental degrees: doctor of dental surgery (DDS) and doctor of dental medicine (DMD). Both have the same education and qualify a person to practice as a general dentist. If someone would like to become a specialist like an orthodontist or surgeon, that requires additional training.
Areas of General Dentistry
The best part about general dentistry is that it covers a large number of different areas. Whether you have a toothache, trouble sleeping or more serious issue, chances are good that a general dentist can diagnose and treat your problem. General dentistry is also fantastic for preventing oral problems from ever developing.
Here are some of the most common types of areas a general dentist can evaluate, diagnose, prevent and/or treat:
- Management of your overall dental health.
- Professional cleaning via state-of-the-art equipment.
- Gum care, such as preventing or addressing gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Basic functional issues like cavities and fillings.
- More complex functional issues like root canals.
- Cosmetic and functional improvements, such as crowns and veneers.
- Tooth replacement solutions like bridges.
- Preventative education to help patients maintain their oral health.
General Dentistry Services at North Heacock:
- Dental Exam & Cleaning
- Oral Cancer Screenings
- Periodontal Disease Treatment
- Root Canals
- Sealants & Filings
- Wisdom Teeth Removal
Contact us today for a dental exam or cleaning or other general dentistry service. Now taking new patients in Moreno Valley.